Shining Light Ministries
Return to Home Page

Daily Devotionals

« Previous
Next »

KNOWING GOD’S PURPOSE AND WILL

Date: November 24

Category: God's Plans

Numbers 24:3b, 4a
"To see clearly the purposes and will of God, He [Balaam] who hears the words of God, who sees the vision of the Almighty."

Slobodan & Ljiljana KrstevskiThis passage is in reference to a time when the Israelites were in the desert. In Numbers 22:1 we read, "The Israelites journeyed and encamped in the plains of Moab, on the east side of the Jordan [River] at Jericho." The king of Moab heard what the Israelites had done to the other kings. So in Numbers 22:3 we read that the people of Moab were very distressed because they didn't know how to fight the Israelites. So the king of Moab paid a prophet named Balaam to prophesy and curse the nation of Israel (Numbers 22:6). But instead of cursing Israel, Balaam blessed Israel. As a prophet, he would only open his mouth to speak what God would say and God only had good intentions for the Israelites.

So in Numbers 24:3b we see that Balaam was a man who clearly saw the purpose and will of God. He knew that God had a good plan for Israel. We read in Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome." That's the plan that God had for the Israelites and that's the plan that God has for us today.

But how could Balaam know what God's will was for the Israelites and how can we know what God's will is for our lives? Based on Numbers 24:4a we can see that Balaam knew the purpose of God because he heard the words of God and he saw the visions of the Almighty. Actually Numbers 24:16 says, "He speaks, who heard the words of God and knew the knowledge of the Most High, who saw the vision of the Almighty, falling down, but having his eyes open and uncovered." In other words, the words of God, the knowledge of the Most High, and the vision of the Almighty were instrumental in allowing Balaam to know the will of God.

That's the same way we will know what the will of God is for us. We need to hear the words that God speaks to us through His Word. For example in 1 Thessalonians 5:18 we read, "Thank [God] in everything [no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks], for this is the will of God for you [who are] in Christ Jesus [the Revealer and Mediator of that will]." We clearly see here that it is God's will for us to thank Him in every situation no matter how difficult a situation is.

In Romans 12:16 we read, "Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty (snobbish, high-minded, exclusive), but readily adjust yourself to [people, things] and give yourselves to humble tasks. Never overestimate yourself or be wise in your own conceits." That is the will of God about how we are to live with one another. In Ephesians 5:22, 25 we read, "Wives, be subject (be submissive and adapt yourselves) to your own husbands as [a service] to the Lord…Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her." We see here that this is the will of God for husbands and wives.

In Colossians 3:17 we read, "And whatever you do [no matter what it is] in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus and in [dependence upon] His Person, giving praise to God the Father through Him." So anything that you say and do should be done in the name of the Lord. That's the will of God for our words and actions.

Throughout the Bible, there are many other Scriptures indicating what the will of God is for our lives. That's why we need to read the Word of God. Over 80% of the will of God is clearly spelled out in the Word of God. The other 20% of God's will can be determined based on deduction from what we already know from the Word of God. The Word of God will enable us to gain more knowledge about who God is. And that knowledge of God will create within us a vision of the Almighty. So when you base your life on the Word of God, the knowledge of the Most High, and the vision of the Almighty, then you will clearly see the purposes and the will of God for your life.

Copyright by:

 

<< November 2019 >>

S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Devotionals Categories

» After Repentance
» Divine Healing
» Faith Expressed Through Actions
» Follow God
» God Answers
» God's Plans
» Godly Character
» Hard Work and Diligence
» Leadership
» Marriage and Relationships
» New Life in God
» Prosperity
» Satisfied in God
» Setting Goals
» Sow and Reap
» Strength in God
» The Goodness of God
» Trust in God
» Wisdom and Understanding


Order Your Copy Today!

Order Now
Order Now

Order Now
Order Now

Order Now
Order Now

Order Now
Order Now